Friday 27 September 2013

Talking about Christ and College residents(Part 1)

So I joined the Wednesday afternoon Bible study session by Calvin, this week. Chris was going, Rachel was going, and damn quite a decent number attended! There was Emma, Corinne, Nish, Tiffany, Shi Hui, Brian Liew, Daniel, and Jan. Wow. So many dedicated Christians. I was a bit unsure of what I was supposed to do. In fact I was kind of intimidated and might not have stepped into the CBL room if Jan hadn't beckoned me.

Calvin started by talking about a jealous god and how it compared to a boyfriend being protective of his girlfriend. I can't remember what was the next topic but I remember the Triune god and good and evil pretty clearly. I also remember that there was something to do with Isaac, his habit of asking girls to make sandwiches, and the importance of being a loving authority(Quote Isaac later: "As a loving authority, I command you to make me a sandwich!)...Loving authority? Hahahah I guess it depends on your point of view. I wonder what Tiff would say in reply though.

I was a bit taken aback by Calvin's stance on women having to follow their men, though it wasn't a chauvinistic one. I guess it makes sense since it was a biblical idea that he was following through. I'll probably follow up with him on this one though. The idea of anyone having to follow anyone in this day and age just seems a little foreign to me. Reading up on this online got me tons of quotes from the bible that collectively don't point me in any clear direction. At this point, though, I'm more interested in what Calvin's opinion is.

But yeah, back to the session. It was nice seeing Calvin lead the session. He was pretty passionate about it, and he had prepared quite a bit of material. Too bad we weren't singing at the session though, hahah. Since Calvin sings pretty well. Through most of the discussions Calvin prompted, though, it was mostly Jan and Emily(?)(Not sure if that's her name) voicing their opinions. I think Brian would probably pose quite a few questions to Calvin later, and difficult ones at that, since he wanted to ask later.

Later on, Rachel was asking Calvin quite a few questions about the material we covered that session. Calvin found her questions good because they gave him quite a few new perspectives, because they were asked very honestly and made for good intellectual stimuli.

I guess I found the session the same way as well. It also let me understand a little bit of what my Christian coursemates idealise, and strive towards. It made me feel good, thinking about this. This reminder that everyone is trying their best. The meeting's material is also good food for thought, no matter how you take it.

So yes, I will be going again, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment